My Question About Security

Hi, My name is Hatice from Turkey.

First of all, thank you for making free software available to people. And my question to you is:

"When we use the programs included in your software, for example; When we write a document, no one but us can access this document, right? I mean our files should be protected on our computer. your program should not have online-like functionality."

Can you please inform me about that issue.

Have a nice day and I wish you good work...

Your file is safe as long as it stays on your computer, but if you use some
Cloud storage such as OneDrive, DropBox or any other, we cannot grant it's
security.
And anyway, LibreOffice (usually) does not encrypt files. But yes, it does
not send them anywhere either, unless you ask it to do that.

Whether or not someone else can access your documents depends on the permissions, which depends on your operating system.  On Linux, by default the owner has full rights but "user" group members and everyone else can read.  If that's not what you want, you have to change the permissions.

As well as the previous answers

How to Protect LibreOffice Documents with Passwords
https://websiteforstudents.com/protect-libreoffice-documents-passwords/

steve

I'm being picky here, but templates can be created, and extensions can be written, to send documents somewhere without the knowledge, consent, or authorization of the document creator.

AFAIK, none of the currently available extensions _or_ templates available on the LibO website have that security flaw.

If one wants to dig deep into LibO configuration files, you can adjust settings so that even if a malicious extension, or template is used, it won't send anything to the outside world.
(Considering the current political climate, it probably would be a good idea to document that procedure, and put it on the LibO Documentation page.)

tldr: Don't install any extensions, create your own templates, and you'll be secure.

jonathon

Sorry, my email software is insisting that I top post.

I can write a macro that will cause all sorts of problems.... But by default you will be warned that a document or template had macros.

And this is not limited to LO.

I am not familiar with a mechanism that can push my files of the computer without running a macro. Would love to know what that is. Please share.